1. Avoid quick acceleration and aggressive driving:
When you floor the gas pedal your car is expending energy as heat and noise. It produces high pollution rates and wastes gas. According to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, one second of high-powered driving can produce nearly the same volume of carbon monoxide emissions as a half hour of normal driving.
2. Stick to the speed limit:
Drive within the speed limit. Higher speed means more energy spent on overcoming friction and maintaining the momentum. Instead of driving at 75 mph, if you drive at 65 mph, your fuel economy will improve by about 10% and tailpipe pollution will decrease. A leading consumer magazine found:
- Slowing down from 75 mph to 65 mph resulted in a five-mile-per-gallon performance increase
- And slowing down from 75 mph to 55 mph saved 10 miles per gallon
- According to Edmunds.com, reduced fuel consumption by 7%. Cruise control will help you maintain a steady, constant speed, which will reduce the need for acceleration and braking
3. Avoid rush hour:
The stop-and-go driving of rush hour burns gas and increases emissions of smog-forming pollutants – not to mention the effects of road rage on your health. Can you plan your schedule to avoid driving during peak traffic times? Or maybe use a GPS to find a less busy route?
4. Avoid hard breaking:
Anticipate rather than breaking hard! This will prevent increased pollution, wasted gas and wear on your breaks. This is especially true for congested, high traffic areas.
5. Don’t idle for more than a minute:
The philosophy of managing your engine extends to idle time too. An idle but turned on engine generates more pollution than driving, and it wastes fuel.
6. Use an electronic toll collection system:
Avis e-TollTM avoids cash payment lines at toll booths. Studies have found that paying tolls electronically reduces hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide emissions by 40-63% and reduces emissions by 16%.
7. Benefit from a GPS navigation system:
The GPS navigation from Avis, provides real-time traffic alerts to help you avoid traffic jams and road construction. It also guides you to your destination without getting you lost, eliminating the extra driving that could result when you become lost. You save on gas, money and driving time while reducing anxiety and stress.